If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
This breakfast is such a treat when we are out on our sailboat. Its easy to put together and can be cooked on a barbecue grill or on a campfire grate over hot coals. This is so delicious you might even consider making it home on your barbecue or in the oven.
Egg, Ham, and Hash Browns in a Foil Packet
- 8 oz. package shredded hash browns, thawed
- ¾ c. shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 8 oz. diced ham (I am able to purchase an 8 oz. package of diced ham) or if you can’t, dice it up yourself, put into a ziptop bag and freeze
- 4 eggs
- 3 Tbs. milk (I use skim)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Dash pepper
- Optional: diced red peppers, diced green onions, diced mushrooms in the egg mixture; salsa or sour cream as a topping.
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat.
- Place two 16-inch by 12-inch pieces of non-stick heavy duty foil on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl whisk together hash browns, half the cheese, ham, eggs, milk, any add-ins, salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture among the two 16×12 inch pieces of foil. Careful! The liquid egg mixture is runny so I curl up all the edges of the foil so none of the mixture spills over,. Starting with the long edges, fold the foil tightly by bringing up the two long sides of the foil so edges meet. Try not to let the foil tear. Seal edges by making a tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again, allowing space on top of the egg mixture for heat circulation and expansion. Fold other end sides to seal. Place packets on the grill or a campfire grill away from high flames, preferably over hot coals.
- Cook 7 to 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked through. The time will vary depending on the temperature.
- I turn my grill onto 400 degrees, let it cook 7 minutes, open the pack and turn off the heat, shut the barbecue lid and let it continue to cook another 4 minutes. I then check it and if it needs a bit more cooking I turn the grill back on and cook for a few minutes, Time to cook will depend on the heat of your grill or campfire. Experiment and see what works for you and make note of it for the next time you make these foil breakfasts. Open packets carefully and sprinkle with remaining cheese. No need to remove onto a plate. Just eat right out of the foil packet.
RV or Boat Prep Notes
Pack eggs in a container to protect them from breaking or water from the ice in your cooler.
Freeze ham ahead of time and pack frozen.
Keep hash browns frozen and put 8 oz into a resealable ziptop bag.
Put ¾ c. cheese into a resealable ziptop bag.
Pack optional add in’s.
Be sure to pack some heavy duty nonstick aluminum foil.