I like to serve these quesadillas with some canned black beans that I have added some salsa too.
6 large eggs, discard 3 of the yolks
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups chopped spinach
4 ounces reduced fat cheddar or Mexican Blend cheese, grated
4 large whole wheat flour tortillas, I like Mission Organic Whole Wheat Tortillas
About 3 tsp olive oil
For serving: salsa, reduced fat sour cream, guacamole, avocado, cubed or sliced.
- Before you start the quesadillas, prepare the serving condiments and any side dishes.
- To make the black beans, pour half a can of canned black bean into a bowl and add 1/4 cup or more salsa and stir. Heat in the microwave when the quesadillas are ready.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add a splash of water or milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to pan and spread it around with a paper towel. When the oil shimmers, pour eggs into skillet, season with salt and pepper and scramble until cooked. Toss spinach on top and stir. Remove to a plate.
- Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel, add 1 tsp oil to skillet and when the oil shimmers, place one tortilla in, cover the tortilla with a thin layer of shredded cheese.
- Top with some of the scrambled eggs and some more cheese and place another tortilla on top.
- Cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Cut into wedges. Serve topped with salsa, reduced fat sour cream, guacamole, avocado
- Repeat with second tortilla.
Instapot Chicken, Black Bean and Green Chile Stew
The Instapot pressure cooker is an amazing device for making flavor-packed stews in very short time. This recipe takes an hour start-to-finish.
- YIELD: Serves 4 to 6
- ACTIVE TIME:15 minutes
- TOTAL TIME:1 hour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 8 ounces dried black beans
- Cilantro, washed, dry and roughly chopped
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp Chipotle Pepper in Adobe (optional)
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Reduced Fat Sour cream, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Add the oil to the instapot. Push the sauté button and heat the oil for a minute. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add cumin and stir for about 30 seconds. Add chilies, dried black beans, half the cilantro, chicken thighs, Chipotle Pepper in Adobe, and broth. Stir to combine.
- Put the Instapot lid on, make sure the valve is in the sealing/pressure cooking position. Press the Manual or Pressure Cook button then use the + button to set to 40 minutes. After the pressure cooking time has finished, release the pressure: Keep your face and hands away from the steam as it’s released, use a utensil to turn the valve from sealing to venting to release the pressure, wait till the steam subsides then open and remove the lid.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken pieces to a bowl. Return beans to high heat and continue cooking, stirring, until reduced to a thick, stew-like consistency, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, shred chicken slightly.
- Stir chicken into beans, season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in the remaining half of chopped cilantro, and serve, with sour cream and lime wedges for seasoning if desired.
Ravioli ai Piselli (Ravioli and Peas)
All these ingredients can be found at Trader Joe’s.
Peas, spinach and butternut squash ravioli are the stars in this classic Italian ravioli and peas dish. The butternut squash is deliciously creamy and you won’t miss the traditional high-fat cheese filling. Using creamy garlic herb Boursin cheese simplifies making of the sauce and adds a mouthwatering flavor.
1/2 container of Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs cheese
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1/2 pack of Trader Joe’s Organic Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped to ½ pieces
Trader Joe’s Butternut Squash Ravioli (found in the fresh section of the store)
1/2 cup Trader Joe’s frozen peas
Put the cheese, olive oil and spinach in a large bowl and stir.
Bring 4 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the ravioli. Bring back to a gentle boil. Continue to cook for 3 minutes or to desired tenderness. Drain.
Meanwhile put frozen peas in a small microwavable dish and heat 1-3 minutes until hot.
While the ravioli is draining, heat the bowl with the cheese and spinach in the microwave one minute, remove and stir. Add the hot ravioli and peas to the large bowl with the cheese. Season with a bit of pepper if desired. Stir gently to mix all ingredients together.