Roasted Cauliflower with Fennel and Smoked Paprika
And don’t skip the SMOKED paprika. This spice brings a unique deep, smoky aroma and taste to everything it touches. I think it’s an incredibly versatile ingredient to have in your pantry. Sprinkle on barbecued or baked chicken, fish, pork, potatoes and rice. Sprinkle on deviled eggs and spiced nuts. Use it to add depth to paella, arroz con pollo, sautéed greens, beans, and vegetarian soups and stews. Here is a rub recipe that I often use that contains Smoked Paprika.
And the combination of spices I use in this recipe would be fantastic to use on chicken.
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into bite-size florets (about 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground fennel seeds, grind fennel seeds with a mortar and pestle or use ground fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ -1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a small bowl, mix ground fennel, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower with the olive oil. Use clean hands to coat the cauliflower with the oil.
- Wash your hands to remove the oil and then sprinkle the cauliflower with the spice mix and use a rubber spatula or spoon to stir and coat the cauliflower.
- Transfer the cauliflower to the baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven, until tender and golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
Easy Perfect Microwave Steamed Green Beans
These beans are perfect and delicious every time! I like to make these when I have a lot of items cooking on the stove for a holiday dinner or a dinner party and can utilize the microwave.
The beans can be washed, cut into pieces, water added and covered with plastic wrap ahead of time, simplifying dinner prep.
*Please be very careful removing the plastic wrap from the hot green beans. There is a lot of steam build up and I can tell you from experience that it can burn your hands.
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of butter Add two tablespoons of water to the dish and place a microwave safe plate on top.
- Snap off the stems of the green beans. Cut them into 2 inch pieces. Rinse them well to clean them to clean them and then and place them in a microwave safe dish with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 8 minutes. Carefully remove plastic wrap (careful: the steam will be hot), test and see if they are as tender as you would like them. (The exact time will depend on your microwave wattage. Mine is 1000 Watts). If the beans aren’t tender, recover and microwave another 2-3 minutes. Experiment with the timing and then make note of that for next time you make them.
- Remove from the microwave, drain the water and sprinkle with a teaspoon of soy sauce and add a tablespoon of butter, letting it melt over the top. Mix well and serve.
Prep Time 10 mins Cook Time 5-12 mins Total Time 15-22 mins
These are so delicious that I have personally eaten 4 pounds of these in one week! A little sweet, a little spicy, these are addictive! Add a little squirt of Sriracha to the sauce to add more heat if you’d like.
2 pounds brussels sprouts, stem trimmed (not too deeply or the leaves will fall off) and halved
3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 Tbls fish sauce or soy sauce
¼ cup sweet chili sauce
Heat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
As you stem and halve the Brussels sprouts, toss them into a medium sized bowl. Add the oil and 1/4 tsp salt and toss the Brussels sprouts to coat evenly. Pour them onto a baking sheet lined with foil. In the same bowl, whisk together the garlic, fish or soy sauce and the sweet chili sauce and set aside.
When the oven is hot, put the baking sheet into the oven and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, tossing them halfway so they cook evenly. Remove Brussels sprouts from the oven and turn oven broiler onto high, with the oven rack positioned in the top third of the oven.
Place the Brussels sprouts into the bowl with the sauce and toss to coat evenly. Put them back onto the baking sheet and broil the Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes or until the chili sauce is bubbling and caramelizing. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn! Remove from the oven and serve immediately.